- Department: Engineer
- Status: Full Time
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Reports To: Road Maintenance Supervisor, County Engineer
- Post Date: October 15, 2021 at 12:00 am
- Application Deadline: Posted Until Filled at 12:00 am
This position provides manual labor as needed in the maintenance and construction activities of the County. The position is responsible for the skilled operation of single axle and tandem trucks and other equipment as necessary in the maintenance and construction activities of the county.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- With minimum supervision haul and place road surfacing materials throughout the county.
- With minimum supervision performs snow removal operations, mowing duties.
- Identifies, investigates, reports and takes appropriate action on deficiencies in roadways.
- Perform routine scheduled maintenance of assigned machinery and equipment including but not limited to, changing oil, filters and other engine fluids, greasing vehicles, repairing tire chains and lights, performing battery maintenance and washing and cleaning assigned equipment.
- Completes a written record of the maintenance services performed on each piece of equipment.
- Completes various written work records including, but not limited to, time sheets, vehicle inspection forms, equipment service sheets and work orders.
- Performs manual labor including, but not limited to, cutting brush and trees, changing cutting edges, installing, maintaining and removing tire chains, cold patching hard surfaced roads, building and removing fences, changing and repairing flat tires, work associated with repairing drainage structures.
- Controls traffic in construction and maintenance zones or emergency situations.
- Performs maintenance and housekeeping activities of county buildings and when necessary.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Safety vests, shirts or jackets are to be worn at all times when operating the equipment or on a project or in the county yards. Seat belts will be worn at all times when operating the equipment.
Qualifications to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Completion of High School, or G.E.D. equivalent. Good knowledge of and the ability to operate assigned vehicles and equipment in a safe manner according to public traffic laws and regulations. Good knowledge of occupational hazards and the safety precautions necessary for the proper operation and use of assigned vehicles, equipment, tools and materials. Good knowledge of techniques utilized in hauling and placing road surfacing materials. General knowledge of construction practices utilized in the building and maintaining of roads and drainage structures.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret maps, maintenance manuals and similar type documents. Abilities to effectively write periodic work reports, fill out log books, document facts. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as total miles drove, tons of aggregate placed, average tons per mile. Abilities to estimate mileage, distances, and locations with respect to maps and landmarks.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to apply safety practices and procedures to all situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must maintain a valid State of lowa Class A Commercial Driver's License, (CDL). Ability to maintain drug free environment and pass periodic random drug screening.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see and use hands and legs to operate a wide range of heavy truck type motor vehicles, exit and enter the vehicles throughout the day and operate snow removal equipment in adverse weather situations for extended periods of time. The employee is periodically required to perform regular vehicle maintenance activities and work requiring the ability to exert or lift 50 to 100 lbs. The employee is periodically required to use hand tools perform maintenance activities. The employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and nonstandard hours.
Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will fluctuate with the weather conditions throughout the year. The employee may be subjected to extreme weather conditions for short periods of time. The employee may be subjected to working in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time. The employee may be subjected to working in road construction and maintenance activity environments with periodic high noise levels, dusty conditions, and hazardous conditions. The employee may be subjected to extended periods of working independently or with a group.
Normal working hours are 7:00AM-3:30PM, however the employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and nonstandard hours.
Applications & Related Files
Please return the completed application and resume to:
Mahaska County Engineer
2074 Old Highway 163
Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Mahaska County is an equal opportunity employer.