Board of Supervisors
Mahaska County Courthouse
106 South 1st Street · 1st Floor, East Side
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Mission StatementTo collectively plan, finance and deliver to the citizens of Mahaska County services that are mandated and based on community needs in the area of public safety, public health, human services and administration. These services will be delivered at an optimum level maximizing available resources and distributed fairly in a manner that instills public confidence in government.
The Board of Supervisors is the executive and administrative branch of county government. The supervisors make policy for the county, administer the various county programs and have final authority over the county budget. Its main responsibility is setting a county budget to meet the needs of the rural population in the township areas and the human service needs of the entire county.
The budget process begins in the late fall and is certified to the State of Iowa by the following March 15th. The county operates on a fiscal year that runs from July 1 through June 30.
The three members of the Board of Supervisors are elected at large and serve overlapping four-year terms. The Board of Supervisors is the executive and legislative branch of county government. Their authority embraces practically every aspect of county government.
The Board of Supervisors approves budget requests and appropriates the budgets and programs for all county governments. The Board of Supervisors oversees the health and social service needs of all county residents. The board also oversees land use planning and fiscal policy.
Current Board Members
Mahaska County is governed and administered by a three-member Board of Supervisors. The Board of Supervisors is elected in staggered, four-year terms on a partisan basis.
Chair: Mark Groenendyk
Term: 2017 - 2020
Vice-Chair: Steve Wanders
Term: 2019 - 2022
Supervisor: Chuck Webb
Term: 2020 - 2022
Duties & Responsibilities
- Make appointments to non-elected county offices and to county boards and commissions. Fill vacancies in elected county offices occurring in the interim between elections except vacancies occurring in its own membership.
- Approve budget proposals of county offices and levy property taxes to raise revenues.
- Review claims against Mahaska County and order payment of those claims.
- Manage all county buildings and grounds.
- Supervise construction and maintenance of the secondary roads system.
- Oversee the health and social service needs for all county residents.
- Make official canvass of votes cast in Mahaska County for elections.
- Approve applications, on behalf of the State of Iowa, permits for beer, liquor, and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county.
- Approve homestead and military service tax credit applications.