IV. Mechanic-Level 2
- Department: Engineer
- Status: Full Time
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Reports To: Road Maintenance Supervisor
- Post Date: October 15, 2021 at 12:00 am
- Application Deadline: Posted Until Filled at 12:00 am
Under the general supervision of the Road Maintenance Supervisor this position is responsible for efficiently repairing, maintaining, servicing and coordinating these same tasks of a variety of equipment within the Mahaska County Highway Department.
(The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned):
- With minimum supervision inspects, diagnoses, repairs and installs systema and parts including, but not limited to, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, transmissions, suspensions, gasoline or diesel engine parts and air-brake systems on all equipment.
- Skillfully operates a wide variety of shop equipment and tools to perform duties.
- Travels to various job sites to diagnose and repair equipment malfunctions.
- Performs routine maintenance duties on a variety of equipment.
- Investigates, makes recommendations for replacement and/or major overhaul on county equipment and/or components/systems thereof
- Road tests equipment to locate defects and check repair work
- Completes various written records including, but not limited to, equipment repair logs, equipment repair records, time sheets, parts checkout sheets and work orders.
- Oversees the proper, safe and efficient operation of Mechanic-Level 1 and other employees as assigned.
- Orders parts as required.
- Trains employees in the safe and efficient maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Enforces county personnel policies and procedures in conjunction with the Road Maintenance Supervisor and the County Engineer.
- Performs manual labor including, but not limited to, cutting brush, work associated with investigating structures and maintaining and repairing equipment.
- Fills in during the absence of the Road Maintenance Supervisor.
- Performs maintenance and housekeeping activities of county buildings and grounds
- Performs other duties as directed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Completion of High School, or G.E.D. equivalent. Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar role preferred, or equivalent combination of experience. Ability to efficiently schedule multiple operations daily. Ability to communicate clearly with employees and the public. Ability to motivate employees and to maintain an efficient working environment. Ability to operate computer applications.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret detailed schematics, maps, maintenance manuals and similar type documents. Ability to effectively write periodic work reports, fill out logbooks and document facts. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public.
Ability to calculate clearances, tolerances, distances, heights, and lengths. Ability to estimate mileage, distances, and locations with respect to maps and landmarks.
Ability to analyze situations and properly interpret appropriate equipment requirements. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to apply safety practices and procedures to all situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
State of Iowa Class A, Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required. Ability to maintain drug free environment and pass periodic random drug screening.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see and use hands and legs to operate a wide range of vehicles and equipment, exit and enter the vehicles throughout the day, operate equipment in adverse weather situations for extended periods of time, and perform work functions in construction environments. The employee is required to perform repetitive hand, wrist, shoulder, and leg movements, have effective hand and eye coordination, climb and maneuver steep banks and push and pull on signposts. The employee is periodically required to perform regular vehicle maintenance activities and perform scheduled work requiring the ability to exert or lift 50 lbs. The employee is periodically required to use hand tools to perform job activities. The employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and nonstandard hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a variety of outdoor environments and locations throughout the year. The employee may be subjected to extreme weather conditions for short periods of time. The employee may be subjected to working on road construction jobs, maintenance activities, employee may be subjected to extended periods of working independently or in a group, in environments with periodic high noise levels, dusty conditions and hazardous conditions. The employee may also be subjected to work on uneven ground surfaces for extended periods.
Normal working hours are 7:00AM-3:30PM, however the employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and nonstandard hours.
Applications & Related Files
Please return the completed application and resume to:
Mahaska County Engineer
2074 Old Highway 163
Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Mahaska County is an equal opportunity employer.