Maintenance & Equipment Operator
- Department: Engineer
- Status: Full Time
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Reports To: Road Maintenance Supervisor, County Engineer
- Post Date: October 15, 2021 at 12:00 am
- Application Deadline: Posted Until Filled at 12:00 am
This position is responsible for the skilled operation and transporting of a variety of equipment such as semi-tractor and trailer combination vehicles, tandem or single axle trucks, end loaders, tractors, mowers, compaction equipment, dozers, motor-graders and excavators and other equipment as assigned and as necessary in the maintenance and construction activities of the county.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned):
- With minimum supervision installs and repairs road culverts, cleans ditches, loads trucks, place rip rap materials.
- With minimum supervision perform snow removal operations.
- Perform routine scheduled maintenance of assigned machinery and equipment including but not limited to, changing oil, filters and other engine fluids, greasing vehicles, repairing tire chains and lights and washing and cleaning assigned equipment.
- Completes a written record of the maintenance services performed on each piece of equipment.
- Completes various written work records including, but not limited to, time sheets, vehicle inspection forms, equipment service sheets and work orders.
- Performs manual labor including, but not limited to, cutting brush and trees, changing cutting edges, installing, maintaining and removing tire chains, cold patching hard surfaced roads, building and removing fences, changing tires, work associated with repairing drainage structures.
- Controls traffic in construction and maintenance zones or emergency situations.
- Performs maintenance and housekeeping activities when necessary and as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Completion of High School, or G.E.D. equivalent. Thorough knowledge of and the ability to operate assigned vehicles and equipment in a safe manner according to public traffic laws and regulations. Good knowledge of occupational hazards and the safety precautions necessary for the proper operation and use of assigned vehicles, equipment, tools and materials. Good knowledge of techniques utilized in shaping road ditches, installing drainage structures and excavation operations. General knowledge of construction practices utilized in the building and maintaining of roads and drainage structures.
Ability to read, analyze, and correctly interpret maps, maintenance manuals and similar type documents. Abilities to effectively write periodic work reports, fill out logbooks and or vehicle inspection forms, and document facts. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as fill heights, lengths of pipe, volumes of concrete, etc. Abilities to estimate mileage, distances, and locations with respect to maps and landmarks.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to apply safety practices and procedures to all situations. Ability to apply basic hydraulic principles when performing duties.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must maintain a valid State of Iowa Universal Class A Commercial Driver’s License, (CDL) as required by State and Federal regulations. Tanker and hazardous materials endorsements may be required. Ability to maintain drug free environment and pass periodic random drug screening. Must maintain insurability to drive and operate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see and use hands and legs to operate a wide range of vehicles and equipment, exit and enter the vehicles throughout the day and operate equipment in adverse weather situations for extended periods of time. The employee is periodically required to perform regular vehicle maintenance activities and nonscheduled work requiring the ability to exert or lift 50 lbs. The employee is periodically required to use hand tools perform maintenance activities. The employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and non-standard hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a variety of outdoor environments and location throughout the year. The employee may be subjected to extreme weather conditions for short periods of time. The employee may be subjected to working on road construction jobs and maintenance activities. The employee may be subjected to extended periods of working independently or in a group, in environments with periodic high noise levels, dusty conditions, and hazardous conditions. The employee may also be subjected to work on uneven ground surfaces for extended periods.
Normal working hours are 7:00AM-3:30PM, however the employee is periodically required to be available during adverse weather conditions and nonstandard hours.
Applications & Related Files
Please return the completed application and resume to:
Mahaska County Engineer
2074 Old Highway 163
Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Mahaska County is an equal opportunity employer.